google-site-verification=v_ojTaMohJeo-zMR6dxs4uqmPG--f6BHSUrxH3Vts3U 332147538997724
top of page
Post: Blog2_Post

A Man In Maeser, Ut. Gets Arrested and Then Gets In A Fight With Another Inmate In The Detox Cell

Posted by Travis Uresk | Nov. 14th, 2022 | Assault & Drugs |

By Travis Uresk


Maeser, Ut.- On 11/3/22, Around 1:00 am, Deputy Embleton was dispatched to a report of possible drug activity in the area of around 2900 W 1100 N. The homeowner reported he found what he thought to believe drugs in his house. He believed they were brought in by a friend of a family member who came to visit.

The Deputy made contact with the homeowner, and he advised the Deputy that his Uncle's friend had come to stay with them, and he didn't know who the man was. The homeowner told the Deputy the man was in the backyard.

The complainant handed Deputy Embleton a cell phone with a small plastic bag containing methamphetamine.

The Deputy asked how he found the drugs, and the homeowner stated his Uncle had been drinking with the visitor all night, and when he helped his Uncle to the bedroom he and his friend were staying in, he opened the door and found the phone with the plastic bag what he thought were drugs on the floor in plain sight.

Deputy Embleton took the phone and the small plastic bag containing methamphetamine, placed them inside an evidence bag, and secured them inside his patrol car.

The complainant stated his Uncle's friend had been the only person in the bedroom prior to him and his Uncle going there. His Uncle's friend came out of the room, telling them he needed to go outside for a smoke.

The homeowner walked the Deputy to the backyard and showed him the vehicle he believed his Uncle's friend was in. As the Deputy approached the vehicle, a male who had been standing outside the vehicle came to speak with the Deputy. He identified himself as Chansanith Dao.

While speaking with Dao, he was advised why the police were there, stating they had been called because suspected narcotics had been found in the bedroom where he had been staying. Dao said, "yeah, what about it."

Deputy Embleton advised Chansanith that he would be straightforward with him and asked him if the phone and meth were his or his friends. After a moment, Chansanith stated they were his.

When asked if he and his friend had been using meth, Dao stated his friend wasn't a drug user.

Deputy Embleton stated it should be noted throughout the interview that Dao was extremely restless, had exaggerated reflexes, and appeared very anxious.

Chansanith Dao was arrested and secured in the Deputy's patrol vehicle and then transported to the Uintah County Jail.

11/3/22, While in jail, around 3:30 pm, Deputy Russell heard an inmate yelling in detox cell 1. The Deputy turned to see why he was yelling and saw Cansanith Dao begin to square off with inmate Grant Checora who was in the same cell.

Deputy Russell, Deputy Monsen, Deputy Fackrell, Officer Larsen, and Deputy Anderson responded to the detox cell.

While waiting for control to open the detox cell, Dao connected multiple punches on Checora's face and body.

Once the cell door was open, Deputy Monsen entered first, followed by Deputy Russell. Deputy Monsen pushed Dao away from Grant, and Dao struck Deputy Monsen on the left side of his face. Deputy Russell grabbed Dao's left arm, and Deputy Monsen grabbed Dao's right arm. They then escorted him to a seated position on the bench in the back of the cell.

Deputy Ledbetter entered the cell, assisted Deputy Russell and Deputy Monsen to the floor so they could secure him in handcuffs, and moved to another cell.

Chansanith Dao was charged with two counts of assault by a prisoner.

Grant Checora:

On 10/31/22, Officer McCurdy was dispatched to assist Adult Probation and Parole, who was in contact with Grant Checora, who currently had a warrant issued for his arrest.

The Officer contacted Grant at his home, where he was taken into custody for his two outstanding warrants.

While searching, Grant Officer McCurdy found multiple controlled substances inside his wallet. Inside Grant's wallet was a plastic bag with methamphetamine and a piece of tin foil with a black tar-like substance suspected to be heroin. Inside Grant's backpack were multiple syringes, two large knives, and a burnt plastic tube used to inhale controlled substances.

At the Uintah County, Jail, Grant was asked if he was leaving anything inside the patrol car, but the Officer didn't get a response. Officer McCurdy conducted a criminal history check on Grant and found that he had been convicted of a violent felony.

The Officer searched the patrol car's backseat and found an uncapped syringe tucked underneath the seat. The Officer asked Grant why he left the syringe inside the vehicle, and he responded, "I needed to get rid of it."

Checora Sentenced to 60 Months in Federal Prison for Voluntary Manslaughter Conviction

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

SALT LAKE CITY – Grant Hubert Checora, age 23, of Ft. Duchesne, who pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter while within Indian Country in January, will serve 60 months in federal prison. Checora will be on supervised release for 36 months once he finishes his prison sentence. U.S. District Judge Dale Kimball imposed the sentence Monday afternoon in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City.

As a part of a plea agreement reached in the case, Checora admitted that he killed an individual identified as E.C. on June 11, 2014. The victim, an enrolled member of the Ute Indian Tribe, was killed on the Uintah and Ouray Reservation. Checora admitted that he acted recklessly with extreme disregard for human life by killing E.C., while in a sudden quarrel. Checora is also an enrolled member of the Ute Indian Tribe.

The charges stem from a June 11, 2014, incident in the Little Chicago Community of Fort Duchesne. Bureau of Indian Affairs officers responded to a shooting about 2 a.m. A confrontation between two groups preceded the shooting. The case was investigated by the BIA and the FBI.

Checora was initially indicted on murder in the second degree, two counts of discharge of a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence and attempt to commit murder while in Indian Country. A felony information charging voluntary manslaughter was filed in connection with the plea agreement reached with federal prosecutors. The charges in the indictment were dismissed at the sentencing hearing Monday.

Kimball recommended that Checora receive vocational rehabilitation and participate in the Tribal Reentry Court when he finishes his federal sentence.

Utah man indicted in Fort Duchesne murder

September 4, 2014

A Utah man has been indicted in federal court in a murder on the Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservation in northeastern Utah in June.

Grant Hurbert Checora, 21, is charged with second-degree murder, attempted murder and two counts of use of a firearm during a violent crime.

He is scheduled to make his initial appearance in court on Monday, according to court officials.

Checora allegedly killed a man and wounded two boys in a shooting on June 11 in a Fort Duchesne neighborhood.

On the same day as the shooting, Checora posted a message on his Facebook page saying he was going "get" someone in Fort Duchesne for assaulting acquaintances:

"Calling all homies to fort Duchesne [n-word] gonna get it for hitting my women and my brother and sister in law. We gonna post up for these dumb [n-word] who wanna jump me and my family. If y'all got my back."

The FBI and Bureau of Indian Affairs officers investigated the shooting that happened about 2 a.m.

Court documents give no other information about the episode.

Checora's Facebook page says he was a resident of Cedar City and employed at Southern Utah University. The man is a registered member of the Ute Indian Tribe, according to court officials.

Fort Duchesne is located about 15 miles east of Roosevelt, in Uintah County.

The reservation, in the Uinta Basin, is the second largest in the United States, covering more than 4.5 million acres.


bottom of page